Sunday 13 January 2013

One of my favourite dishes..Scottish Stovies..

Scottish Stovies is one of my favourite dishes, I used to eat this as a child and was cooked by my late Scottish father. It is a very simple dish, but full of flavour and feels very wholesome, especially on a Winter's evening.

There is a rumour that the word Stovies comes from the French "étouffée" to steam.

Here in photos are the easy steps to cooking Stovies...please give it a go, and let me know know what you think.





                                        Fry onions and sausages together

                                                   

                        Once browned add chicken/beef stock, it doesn't matter which
                                 

                       
                           Cook in stock for approx 20 mins or until sausages cooked



                            Then add potatoes or even tinned potatoes works fine



                                 Cook until the potatoes have warmed through



                                     add cheese until melts and then serve


                                                                           
                                                     Violà



3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy and simple to fix.
    Are you going to play along with Dreaming of France today? I hope so.
    Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. The potatoes in teh stovies are supposed to break down to almost a "mash" like consistency and "cheese" ?????? Never had cheese in Sotvies in my puff !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my twist on stovies, cheese added for texture, really delicious you should try it.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave any comments... your feedback is important to me x