Wednesday 4 July 2012

How to make Blackcurrant Jam..

 It was such a sunny day yesterday that I thought I would pick my Blackcurrant's,as I decided I would make my Blackcurrant Jam and write about making it. 


 I thought first I would do a little bit of research regarding Blackcurrants etc and I came across this. 

Cardiovascular Health

A high intake of fruit and vegetables has been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. For example, it is well-known that the flavonoid-rich diet of the French, who drink a lot of red wine, is good for you . Blackcurrants are a natural, readily available and rich source of flavonoids.

How do flavonoids reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease?

Eating foods and drinks that are rich in flavonoids can benefit the cardiovascular system in a number of ways. Studies have shown that drinking wine or juices rich in flavonoids helps to improve the function of your blood vessels.Scientists have also shown that flavonoids can reduce blood stickiness in both laboratory tests and in humans . This means reducing the chance of forming small blood clots which can injure the blood vessel lining and stops them working.

As well as stop blood vessels working properly, small blood clots release harmful chemicals that can increase the formation of bad cholesterol (also known as oxidised low density lipoprotein), which sticks to the blood vessel walls. Eventually this can lead to a narrowing of the arteries, which will prevent the blood flowing around the body efficiently and could lead to increased blood pressure.



Now I find this interesting as I am one of 4 children and have always drank Red wine, and mostly daily with my meal etc. I am the only child who doesn't have heart problems, like my siblings, as I was always told that Red Wine was good for you. So maybe a tipple like the French is good for your health...along with eating fruits that are rich in flavonoids and Vitamin C.







How to make Blackcurrant Jam



Step 1)  Wash and remove and stalks attached to the blackcurrant's.



Step 2) Boil Blackcurrant's with water in a deep pan.



  Step 3) Once the fruit has softened add the Sugar, (I warm mine first in the oven)





Step 4)  Boil and keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then boil rapid for 5 mins.



Step 5)  Do a Pectin test.




Step 6)   Get your Jars ready, I sterilise mine in the oven, and useful to have a funnel.



Step 7)  Fill each Jar to the top, make sure the Jars are warm, then put the wax seal on.



Step 8)  Put the lids on straight away as they will form a vacuum and seal tightly, and then put your labels on.







Viola....

Enjoy...




Just made some scones to have with my Jam...











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comments... your feedback is important to me x